This week we are celebrating our first week of fall! There are many things to be excited for during the fall such as the changing weather and my favorite the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks! Make sure that fall is also something to be excited for by your pets.
As we approach some long awaited cooler weather there are many hazards that present themselves to our pets. The use of rodenticides increases during fall and keep rodents from seeking warmth and shelter in your home. If you do need to use them put them in places that are not accessible by your pets. Ingestions of such harsh chemicals can prove fatal with your pets.
During fall kids go back to school and there are an abundance of school supplies that appear in your home. Although school supplies to do not appear to be very appetizing, if your pet chooses to eat them they can cause internal blockages. Designate a spot for school supplies, such as a drawer, that is out of reach from your pets but still accessible by your children.
With Halloween just right around the corner there is also an increased chance of your pet getting into the candy bowl. Not only is the chocolate and sugar extremely toxic to pets but so are the wrappers! All candy should be kept at a safe distance to ensure your pets safety.
It is also a good time to get out and start exploring and hike the Franklin Mountains. This is a great activity for people and pets! Always remember to check that the trail you choose is pet friendly. Also bring enough water and a pet drinking bowl. Small collapsible bowls can be found at any of our local pet supply stores. Most importantly make sure to pick up any droppings after your pet.
If you suspect your pet has gotten into anything toxic please call us immediately. If some of these are left untreated the results can be fatal. To schedule an appointment give us a call at 915-584-4491.
By Monique Conway, Director of Public Contact 9/24/2014